Legs-akimbo. external reveals on windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’d appreciate any ones help although Legs-akimbo will probably better understand my ramblings as he’ll have seen this on older Irish buildings.
I have an old Irish cottage with a rough cast finish, using chippings of ½ to ¾ inch. I have added some new windows and want to have external rendered reveals. I have battened with 1½ wood to give a lip that extends past the rough cast. Side cheeks of the reveals were rendered easily but it a dogs dinner when it came to rendering the underside of the lintel, basically the rendering falls out of the 1½ batten gap. I was thinking of installing a supporting “shelf” with a box edge to give a neat lip, underneath the lintel and pushing the render mix in. Let this cure and then do the side cheeks with normal battens.

How do the pro’s do it ?
regards

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure what you are doing with regards to going over in situ render or rough cast!!
I can not think how to describe the way to do this, that would be clear so if you bare with me I will post up a picture soon that will be self explanatory.

Thanks for the reply and will look forward to the pic. To add detail to what I'm doing.. I have added a couple of windows in the rough cast walls. This meant cutting apertures and installing concrete lintels. The rough cast and render coat has been chiselled off approximately 6 inches all round the aperture. I now need to make good with rendered reveals and then rough cast to the original. Its the reveals thats giving me a headache !!

Regards

derek..

Ahhh I am with you now, not a problem, I will be setting bands in timber early next week.....watch this space :D

Sponsored Links
Please don’t think I’ve lost interest, I’m still needing the info on how to do window reveals.
In the mean time another couple of questions if I may. I’m ready to rough cast some blocks what was a door way. What coats do I put on and whether wet or dry. I thought of 1st scratch coat with water proofer. Second coat without water proofer, but do I let it dry or throw on rough cast while wet?

regards

Legs-Akimbo
I see you are kicking about on the forum, any chance of an up-date with the window reveals?

regards

Bare with me ..sorry for the delay, keep forgetting to get batteries for the camera in my glove compartment. No shop for miles near the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back