Levelling a garage floor?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm planning to level a sloping garage floor (from 'flat' at one end to about 50mm below at the other). The existing floor is dusty (but very solid) concrete.

Anyone have any ideas about how best to do it :confused: ?

I then plan to lay floor joists on top of the levelled floor and floor grade chipboad onto the joists.. if there is a better way ( :idea: suspend the joists level???!) please let me know, I'm really struggling and any help will be much appreciated :D !

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could pack the joists up to level...using either transverse packers
or firring pieces...
i take it your final objective is a suspended timber floor...?

Hi, Thank you for such a prompt reply...

mrcrow said:
i take it your final objective is a suspended timber floor...?

Yes, I guess!... My final objective is a flat floor that is the simplest and most effecient to build, I'm just not sure if the best approach is for it to be suspended or whether it is better to level the concrete base (which I don't know how to do :oops: ) and lay floor joists directly on top of that base?!

OK, so, having chatted to a builder the gap is going to make a suspended floor tricky (ventilation etc) so the answer is... level the floor with concrete... lay floor joists on top and fill the gaps with insulation, boarding the top of the joists with flooring grade chipboard.

:?: The only thing I'm now unsure of is what mix the concrete should be?
Any ideas would be gratefully received (the gap to be filled goes from 60mm to about 10mm)????

Sponsored Links
light-boy,

can I ask how you resolved the floor problem??, I have the same issue with my garage floor, Did you use concrete in the end??

cheers matt

4/1 mix wet tamp it off sorted or even use steel floor joist seats you level them as you goo then theres more room for wool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back