levelling old floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me if it is possible to level an old wooden floor with ply/chipboard in order to lay new solid floorboards on top.
I know the proper way would be packing the joists but I would like to know if it could be done this way.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo 1966 and welcome :D:D:D:D

yes its possible but if the floor goes off in 2 direction its a nightmare

accross the joists easy peasy one thiknesses on each joist
along the joists taperd all the same size
at an angle taperd wood different on all joists

having said all that because your flooring is down and in good order [i assume]you will be able to put packers every 300mm or so diagonalt at whatever angle from side to side off the slope [assuming your new floor is fully weight bearing and is going to be blind nailed otherwise youll have diagonal nail lines]

other things to consider

why has the floor dropped is it structural movement or failure[wood decay for example]

the new floor will be floor thickness plus spacers higher with possible knock on effects like doors require trimming and windows may need safety glass if they are now less than 800mmabove the floor[to the glass]

other features in the room may look odd as the floor will be level as will anything on it a sideboard beside a door for example

you will need to cut perhaps to much off a door for its strenth[as opposed to 20mm less if you remove the old floor]

Thanks for the reply but I am a little confused. Our floor slopes on the sides where the livingroom door is and where the chimney breast is. the original boards run in the direction of the chimney and are warped in the middle of the room. So we should put two wedges on the sides and level with the middle. Does it sound ok? :oops:

ok lets put it a differnt way each floor board must be fully supported every 400mm [or =to present support levels if different] fully accross the floor boards width

so you can achive that any way you wish as long as the support is at least the same level

clear as mud eh :D ;)

Sponsored Links
if you have time why don't you read my first post called oak disaster and feel sorry for me. We are trying to fix that disaster by removing the oak, buy new one and re level the floor again but apparently better this time by putting the ply ON TOP of the original floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back