lifting carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to lift some carpet up so I can run a satellite cable under the floorbaords.

When my carpet was fitted about 12 months ago they used 'grippers' which were wodden strips with small nails sticking out.

Mu question is how do I lift the carpet up off the grippers without damaging it and then put it back down again so it doesn't move?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
removing and reinstating the carpet is the easy bit

lifting the carpet grip and floor boards is the hard part

if you can route the cable between the grips and the edge of the underlay you could save a lot of trouble

Ish said:
Hi

I need to lift some carpet up so I can run a satellite cable under the floorbaords.

When my carpet was fitted about 12 months ago they used 'grippers' which were wodden strips with small nails sticking out.

Mu question is how do I lift the carpet up off the grippers without damaging it and then put it back down again so it doesn't move?

Thanks

why run the sat cable under the floorboards, it would be alot easer running the cable along side of the grippers ( grippers and skirting ) lifting the carpet with an screw driver/ kitchen knife or what ever is thin/strong enough to prise it off the grippers, once you've can get your fingers in then pull the carpet with your hands, once done use a hammer or an blunt heavy object to knock the carpet back down, :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you should never run cable under a carpet!!! The gap between the wall and gripper is for the carpet to tuck down to give a neat finish and stop fraying. If run the other side of the gripper and underlay your asking for it to get damaged. If not by the chap struggling to install new carpet in the future but by furniture etc. On a velvet finish carpet it will start to show through and on any carpet can cause your carpet to wear poor when it causes carpet to lift of grippers and lose its stretch! To british standard a fitter should not install carpet with a cable underneath. Manufactories will also not guarantee there product. Do job correct as you was going to in the first place and lift a couple of boards up. To take up carpet use something like a bradel in a corner. Try not to crease carpet when folded back. Underlay should come up easy. When re laying it should drop back into place. You do need a stretcher to tap carpet back over gripper so it is under tension. Work into a corner with stretcher. Next you need a large blunt chisel to push carpet back down behind gripper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back