Light switch fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past week, we have had problems with the light switches for the living room and kitchen. When the switch is turned on, the mains switch trips. Since then, we have not been able to use the lights because of this problem. Can anyone who knows how to solve this problem help? :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Have you changed the bulbs recently ? It's not unusual for a blown bulb to 'fuse' the element creating a 'dead short' in which case the main MCB will trip.

Suggest you remove the lamps from the offending room(s) and try the switches again.

I have tried that earlier but it did not work. The mains still trips. What could be the problem?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem in my house. The light fittings on my particular circuit were basic ceiling roses with flex to lamp holder. What happened in my case was that the heat off the lamp had caused the flex insulation within the lamp holder to crumble, leaving bare wires which subsequently caused a short circuit. I would certainly start by concentrating around your light fittings/lamp holders where heat is likely to be generated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back