Light switches!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking for some advice as to what type of switches I need to purchase to replace my old switches.

I had bought some switches from B&Q and when going to install, I noticed that they were completely different from the ones I was replacing!

What I have is the following -

3 off switches which are completely on their own (i.e. just on/off - 1 gang). I had bought what I thought was the correct switches, but they were 2 way intermediate 1 gang switches??!!

1 off switch (1 gang) on the landing which is linked to a 2 gang switch in the hall downstairs. This 2 gang switch is also linked to another 2 gang switch at the other end of the hall.

So basically i have 3 lights (1 upstairs and 2 downstairs). First light (upstairs) can be controlled either upstairs/downstairs.
2nd light can be controlled by either 2 gang switches in the hall.
3rd light can only be turned on/off by faraway 2 gang switch.

Can someone shed some light (pardon the pun) on what type of switches I require?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can assist!!

ps hope it makes sense!

Sponsored Links
delboy19 said:
3 off switches which are completely on their own (i.e. just on/off - 1 gang). I had bought what I thought was the correct switches, but they were 2 way intermediate 1 gang switches??

3x one gang one way

delboy19 said:
1 off switch (1 gang) on the landing which is linked to a 2 gang switch in the hall downstairs. This 2 gang switch is also linked to another 2 gang switch at the other end of the hall.

1x one gang two way

2x two gang two way

Sponsored Links
you can get away with fitting the intermediates as 1 way switches.... it'll just switch the live over to the other way on it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back