Light well render and paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

We have just had our manky window in our basement replaced with a nice tilt n turn uPVC window (1500 x 900 h x w).

The window opens inwards, and outside the window is a light well with a drain in the bottom. The ceiling of the cellar is just below ground level outside. In the past, we have had a problem when the drain got blocked and some water started coming in through the wall near floor level into the basement.

My question is what should I apply to the outside wall, and the walls of the lightwell to a) prevent water penetration b) make is nice and light (white finish to reflect light).

The basement is going to be water proofed later this year, but as I want to paint the light well white, thought I may and try make it waterproof aswell.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
you could use a render with a waterproofing agent, or synthaproof the walls and then render, but youre still get some damp, then paint it white. keep the drain well maintained as well, prevention better than cure and all that!

one man of wisdom once said patience is a virtue, especially when asking for free advice

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
one man of wisdom once said patience is a virtue, especially when asking for free advice

Sorry, just thought I was being ignored.

Thanks for the reply. The drain will now be very well maintained, as we can now get to it! :) The proofing on hte inside will be cavity drainage membrane with channel, so the wall will still be able to breathe on the inside. I just want to make sure most of the holes in the point work are filled in, and hopefully prevent the puring event that occured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back