Lighting circuit junction boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been fiddling around in my loft replacing a section of damaged cable and I noticed that in the original installation, or maybe in subsequent additions, both 5 and 10 amp junction boxes have been used on the upstairs lighting circuit - which is a mix of loop-in and junction box wiring servicing six pendant lampholders (including one downstairs as part of the landing/hallway two way switching). Does this matter? Are there situations where you use one instead of the other? I was under the impression you used 5 amp boxes on a lighting circuit.

Cheers.

Spook.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, 5 and 10amps would be hard to come by......in fact, I have never seen them.

Most wholesalers sell 4 terminal 20amp joint boxes, and 3 terminal 30amp.

The 20amp ones get used for lighting circuits.

The larger the current rating, the more it can carry. And as your loading will be no higher than 5amp, a joint box with a rating in excess of this is what you want.

Lectrician said:
To be honest, 5 and 10amps would be hard to come by......in fact, I have never seen them.

I've never seen 10 amp - but then I suppose I've never looked for them. Screwfix sell 5 amp though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back