Lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be getting much of my house rewired over next 18 months, however in the short term I want to add a couple of fluorescent lights into an attic space. A lighting circuit already runs through the attic so I thought this could be extended. On further investigation it turns out that too many lights (about 1500 W!) are already running of this circuit, so I don't want to add any more.
I do not want to split the circuit as this would be a big job and will be done professionally soon anyway, so my question is whether it is OK / safe to wire up two fluorescent lights to the ring main as a short term stop gap, with a view to putting them on the lighting circuit when the house is rewired? If it's OK to do this should I use a normal switch or double pole switch?

Sponsored Links
you should use a fused connection unit fitted with a 3A fuse

the feed from the ring to the fused connection unit should be done with 2.5mm the connection form the fused connection unit to the light can be done with 1.0mm or 1.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back