Lights that can't be connected to the lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've purchased some outside lights (simple wall lights with 40w bulbs) to replace existing bulkhead style ones. The new lights are double insulated (not that I think this is critical - just background info). The instructions state -

"Do not wire this light into the lighting circuit, use a switched fuse spur"

Am a little surprised - hence my post....

The lights I'm replacing are as follows:

1) One light I'm replacing is attached to my garage - this is connected to a pull cord and directly into the CU in my garage.

2) A single light attached to the back of my house, with a dedicated switch - this is connected to the lighting circuit - tested by removing the fuse in the CU for the lights.

3) 3 other lights are controlled by a single switch and also connected to the lighting circuit.

Can someone please explain to me why a light should not be connected to the lighting circuit? Is it simply due to the possible installation complications (for some people) of having more than 3 wires involved? In this case would it be OK for a competent person to install?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
If the outside lights get damaged and has to be isolated then the switched spur enables you to do this. If instead it was wired into the lighting circuit the damaged external light could mean your internal lights have to be turned off to isolate the damaged light.

OK thanks for that. I always remove the fuse from the CU when doing anything (aside from a changing a bulb!).

I think the point here is ISOLATION

I always remove the fuse from the CU when doing anything

This does not isolate the circuit as the neutral is still connected to the supply.

you can use a switched fused spur on the lighting circuit as long as fuse is rated less than that of the circuit i.e 3 amp

Sponsored Links
I wasn't very clear.

If the outside fitting is damaged leaving the wiring exposed then the power the cicuit must be isolated to remove all risk of electric shock to people who may touch it. That means you would have to turn of the supply to your internal lights until the damaged external light was made safe.

OK, so it sounds like there is nothing specific to the lights I bought that makes them unsuitable and if I replace the existing ones all will work. Only issue is that if one is damaged then I can't isolate it easily - as this is exactly the same situation with the currently installed lights then I'm not making things any worse.

Thanks for the fast replies.
Adam

Adam

You are not making things worse but please heed the advice and the instruction for the lights.

Or when you come to install them switch off the power at main switch

It was once considered good practice to run all outdoor lights through a Double Pole Switch with Neon Indicator, so that isolation could easily be done, whether the Regulation was deleted in the 2001 edition of the 16th, I don't know - perhaps someone else could advise....

Kai

I think that's what the light instructions meant and what all the replies were implying.

Good practice and The Regulations are different things.

The Regs tell you what is required and it is up to you, as designer, to follow the good practices that allow you to comply. ;)

See Chapter 46

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back