Limescale in toilet pan

Div

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a product that will remove limescale stains from below the water line in a toilet pan. I've previously removed all the water and tried i) bleach ii) Caustic soda - both were left overnight and then scrubbed but made very little difference. Someone recommended 'spirit of salts' but I haven't tracked down where to buy it.
Any views/ ideas please?

Sponsored Links
vinegar is pretty effective on limescale but you might need quite a lot to work in the pan. But it's cheap.

you can get proprietary limescale removers from most supermarkets which have a similar acidic action.

If my chemistry is right, limescale is calcium carbonate which is alkaline. Caustic soda or bleach won't touch it. You need something acidic to shift it. Vinegar is a very weak acid and I think you'd need a bucket load in the toilet bowl to make an impression. Spirit of salts is hydrochloric acid which is a bit nasty but will definitely do the job.

I've never bought it over the counter but I assume you can get varying concentrations (i.e. diluted with water). I would have thought that a solution of 10% would do the job.

In its concentrated form it's oily and you need to wear goggles etc to prevent fumes getting into your eyes (don't breath it in either). :cool:

Sponsored Links
Citric acid monohydrate. Comes in crystal form. Mix it with boiling water and pour into an EMPTY toilet bowl. 15 minutes later, no limescale.

weargas said:
Mix it with boiling water and pour into an EMPTY toilet bowl.

Sounds OK, but let it cool first?

FWIW - I've used dilute hydrochloric acid to clear a WC pan of scale - works very well.

Sounds bizzare but try pouring 2ltrs of cola down the pan and leave overnight this will clear mild amounts of scale !!!

Not bizzare at all coke has phosphoric acid in it.

Thanks Guys - I have loads of things to try now!

Also harpic (the blue original one), did the job on our loo when we moved in (mums advice :D) - pour it in at night give a swish round and leave it for as long as you can, then scrub it off.

We had to do it twice.

weargas said:
Citric acid monohydrate. Comes in crystal form. Mix it with boiling water and pour into an EMPTY toilet bowl. 15 minutes later, no limescale.

Any idea where an ordinary joe like me can get these kinds of concentrated acids from. I thought they were really only available to industrial customers and not Joe public?

mrspax said:
weargas said:

Any idea where an ordinary joe like me can get these kinds of concentrated acids from. I thought they were really only available to industrial customers and not Joe public?

Central heating acid descaler will work. Available everywhere.

I know of someone who chucked a lump of sodium into the pan, 5 seconds later, no WC!!!!!!!!

Most supermarkets sell Toilet Cleaner with limescale remover, and they work quite well.
No need to go hunting for chemicals.
Kleeneze sell a small block that can be placed in the cistern, and will prevent scale formation for about 12 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back