line new plastered walls or paint directly onto them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have new plastered walls do i paint or line the walls, is it best to have lining between paint and a new plastered finished wall?
thanks for the advice so far but still unsure? will it matter long term if i directly painted should i decide to paper in the future

Sponsored Links
You can paint directly onto the plaster but you must make sure that you've sealed the plaster first with PVA + water, possibly two coats -the first being thinner, say 1/4-3/4 PVA to water, the second 1/2-1/2, otherwise the plaster will simply take all the paint up and the finish will be atrocious.

I'd also be inclined to put a coat of undercoat on as well just to be sure. It seems like a lot of work but the finish will repay the effort.

If you do use lining paper you'll need to seal the plaster anyway with diluted wallpaper paste or you risk the same problems. An (apparently) it's best to put the lining paper on horizontally rather than vertically. Although I have never done this and can't quite see why this is better.

you put lining paper on horizontally so that if you wallpaper the room you don't get bumps and bulges where the joins are.

aleks

You should also hunt for "micro-porous" paint, it lets the new plaster "breathe" and dry out properly without the paint blistering.

Sponsored Links
I have my decorators give bare plaster a first coat of diluted emulsion of about 3 parts paint to 1 part water and then it is given two coats of the desired emulsion. It tends to work very well like that.

When I used to work on building site,the paint & decorators always been told to paint on new plaster as you cannot wallpapers on new plaster walls for 6 months,not sure why ?

The usual advice is not to paper newly plastered walls for at least six months to ensure that the plaster is fully dry and that any salts that may leach out of the plaster in the first few months don't stain your wallpaper.

I was advised by a plasterer to paint the walls with Wickes one coat emulsion once the plaster was dry. It only comes in white but it does a good job of sealing the surface so you can then get a good finish. New plaster soaks up paint like a sponge, it can sometimes take quite a few coats of ordinary paint to get a decent finish. Even if you intend to paper it is worth doing because you get much better slip once the surface is sealed.

If you paint the walls it is relatively easy to touch up any flakes or blisters in the paint, whereas if you paper and the paper gets stained it is a much bigger and more expensive job to put it right

Im with Cobweb on this one. I would seal the walls with PVA mixed with water. 2 coats and it will be fine. I have done this all through my home and works a treat.

Hope this helps

Coggy

if new plaster is applied after a damp course then should i still seal the plaster?

Yes, plaster needs sealing for all the above reasons - regardless of the reason why the plastering has been done. You can still get hygroscopic salts leaching out of a wall - even if it's just been damp-proofed, as it can take up to a year for wall to dry out thoroughly (an inch a month I've been told - dependant on material of wall and thickness).

Help...this happened to us..." otherwise the plaster will simply take all the paint up and the finish will be atrocious."

Our painter did not prep the wall that had been plastered a month ago and the result is atrocious...there are bumps all over. What canwe do now. Thank you so much.

cobweb";p="10680 said:
You can paint directly onto the plaster but you must make sure that you've sealed the plaster first with PVA + water, possibly two coats -the first being thinner, say 1/4-3/4 PVA to water, the second 1/2-1/2, otherwise the plaster will simply take all the paint up and the finish will be atrocious.

I'd also be inclined to put a coat of undercoat on as well just to be sure. It seems like a lot of work but the finish will repay the effort.

If you do use lining paper you'll need to seal the plaster anyway with diluted wallpaper paste or you risk the same problems. An (apparently) it's best to put the lining paper on horizontally rather than vertically. Although I have never done this and can't quite see why this is better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back