Linea 28 error message not listed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I've had the Linea 28 installed for about 4 years. A couple of years ago it started giving the message 'CO' when I turned it over from Heating/hot water to just hot water.
The boiler fires and the pressure just keeps on rising!
Now, it's started doing the same when I turn it from hot water to heating/hot water. It's been fine all summer with just the hot water setting.
If I turn the knob back and forth just a little, it goes to normal, and the 'CO' disappears.
I rang Vokera, but they didn't know either.
I don't want to know how to fix it, I'd just like to know what the problem is before I call out an engineer.
If Vokera don't know, then an engineer could charge more than the boiler's worth to find/fix the fault.
Any of you guys come across 'CO' before?
Thanks.
John :confused:

Sponsored Links
Slugbabydotcom said:
Don't know about the CO thing but where you say
The boiler fires and the pressure just keeps on rising!
That would point me in the direction of the pressure vessel

Thanks for that. No, it only happens when I turn the boiler on/off. If it was the vessel, wouldn't it happen all the time? Plus, I've checked the pressure with a gauge and inflated it with a bike pump as directed (only needed to do it once). I've also installed a second pressure vessel, as I've added four more radiators in an extension. The CO problem occurred before the extension, though, and I did check the pressure in the original vessel at that time.
It's the error 'CO' that's baffling me, the manual and Vokera!
John

When you turn the boiler on the water expands and it needs somewhere to expand to. It will expand till the pressure reaches 3 bar then blow out of the PRV. When it cools down whatever is left will contract again leaving you with less than pressure than what you started with. A difference of 0.5 bar is considered normal when the pressure vessel has sufficient space within for the water to expand into.

I've checked the pressure with a gauge and inflated it with a bike pump as directed (only needed to do it once).
Let some water out and do it a few more times there ain't enough air in those vessels.

How many rads are there in your system now?

If the pressure rises continually without the boiler being turned on then you are looking at a filling loop valve that is passing or much rarer a secondary heat exchanger that has an internal leak

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, but you're missing the point.
The PRV isn't leaking. It used to before I fitted the second vessel, but not now.
The vessels are now both fine.
The problem only occurs when I move the switch over, not while the heating/hot water is on. As I said, if I turn the switch back and forth a little, the CO message goes off, and the pressure stops rising. If the vessels were the problem, I'd have excess pressure all the time, surely?
I really need to know what CO means on the error panel, as Vokera don't seem to know.
Could it be a faulty switch?
A faulty panel?
A faulty choice of boiler?
Thanks for your help, nevertheless.
John ;)

Ok so putting my instincts aside for a moment
I know that there are a load of maintenance codes for some vokeras and it may be that by holding 2 or more buttons for a period of time can get you into this maintenance / testing mode. AFAIK this info is privy to vokera engineers
Whilst I dont know the precise answer at this time but I do have a few suggestions/ ideas and can give you details of who to ask for at vokera who should know the answer.
Idea 1. CO stands for carbon monoxide and could be part of the testing sequence.
Idea 2. What you say about moving the switch slightly could also indicate a fault in the pcb where a good connection is not being made at the control switch.
You need to be talking to a guy called Pete Sutcliffe [no relation] at Vokera in Bradford. General enquiries number is 01442 281400. Dont call the 0870 number as you will get a load of clueless haggis munchers.
Hopefully tomorrow someone else here may be of more help

Read the manula. CO setting (selected) is for testing with analyser. I am (almost) sure there is a mention of it in the manual.

Has the selecter switch been replaced at some time . I went to a linea which was showing co like yours and it turned out the selecter switch had been replaced , but was turned the wrong way . You would only know by removing the switch turn it 180 degrees and replace it .If need be do a search on linea 28 i did a post last week how to change a broken switch

Thanks for the info, SBDC. I'll ring him Monday.
DP - I didn't read ALL the manual, just the error messages page, so you could be right.
pwdavis - No, the switch is original from when I had the boiler installed.
The problem started after about 2 years, but is intermittent. The suggestion of the PCB seems the logical one. At least I can price one up and guess at the repair costs by an engineer.
I'll see what this Pete guy at Vokera says.
Thanks to you all for your help.
If it ever gets sorted, I'll post back and let you know the outcome.
John

Yes, its an engineer test mode.

The amusing thing as DP clearly remembers, is that an RGIs student daughter was renting a flat in Scotland and told her father the boiler display was showing "CO".

The father fearful for his daughters safety said "thats carbon monoxide, switch off the boiler and dont use until its checked".

Tony

Tony, now you're scaring me!
If it is a carbon monoxide problem, wouldn't it be there all the time?
As I said in my original question
It's been fine all summer with just the hot water setting.
It just doesn't seem to like being switched from one mode to the other.
And would a CO problem disappear by turning the knob back and forth slightly?
It's been like this for about 2 years now and doesn't happen all the time.
John :confused:

NO NO NO !

Its just an engineer test mode, its NOTHING to do with carbon monoxide!!!

Forget it, dont activate because its not a normal operational state.

Tony.

Been a while, I know, but for anyone still watching this post...

Today, I rang the number slugbabydotcom gave me. Peter Sutcliffe wasn't in, but another guy helped me.
He says the CO has nothing to do with carbon monoxide, and just means the boiler needs resetting. I just need to turn it off for a few seconds, which I've basically been doing, and it will disappear, which it does.

It still must be a fault, as it does it so often, but at least I know it's nothing dangerous.
I think.
Thanks again for your help. :)

Isn't that what I told you above?

Re Slugs "Dont call the 0870 number as you will get a load of clueless haggis munchers. " I wonder if DP is a "Haggis Muncher?

I have to say that I once called the scottish Vokera number and got a very helpful fellow who faxed me a sheet for their own engineers which showed ALL the faults which could cause each fault code.

Tony

"Dont call the 0870 number as you will get a load of clueless haggis munchers. "

Only telling you what the guy from Vokera told me when I did the course. Maybe some rivalry within Vokera?

I believe DP is a Haggis muncher But I'm not dissing him cause he aint clueless in fact far from it. He pulled me out of the poo once before.

I'm a parmo munching smoggie... so what. Everyone has to be something or no one would be anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back