Lining up an engineered floor around a room divider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Laying an engineered foor in my lounge/dining room. The two rooms total about 7mts long and 3 wide. However they are divided at right angles by a large archway approx 1500mm wide. The walls that form the archway are a right angles to the line of the new boards. If I start laying one side of the room I need to be sure that when I start on the other side that the boards will line up. Basically I will start laying in the lounge against the far wall until I reach the archway.Then move to the dining room against the far wall and lay until I reach the archway. The next row will therefore rum from end to end through the archway but even with the best of measurements will it line up?!
Any good ideas for ensuring it does? The plan is to not put a divider in the archway but to run straight through.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Dunc

Other option, what we normally do, is to start where you want to start i.e. lounge and when you reach the archway continue in both rooms (as if from the archway on it's one room). You can stabilise the 'empty space in the dining (wall to archway) with blocks of wood 'screwed' down to keep a straight line everywhere. When you have finished you can 'add' the floorboards (working the otherway around as normal) in the empty space.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Hi Woodyoulike,
Yes that makes sense! S you end up with a fat 'L' shaped section with blocks to keep the empty space edge straight. Then remove the blocks and fill in the space?
As a matter or interest why does it matter which way they are laid. ie tongue away or towards wall you are laying from?

cheers

Dunc

No, it doesn't matter which way the T&G are faced when you start, depends on the brand - manufacturer anyway. As long as all boards lay in the same direction i.e. don't turn the board around so T meets T ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back