Lintel for new window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I live in a 1895 built terrace the walls being two course brick with no appreciable cavity (small gap filled with cement snots mostly). I want to remove my front window (standard sash) and replace it with a window of the same height but 24" wider. Can anyone give me an idea or drawing showing the lintel type I need in situ from a side elevation showing the brick course work in place. Not knowing the lintel shape needed I can't visualize the method of rebricking. Should the new UPVC windows be frame fixed then silicone beaded between frame and brick, then pointed with mastick?

Sponsored Links
catnic or a similar company supply lintels specifically for dealing with 9" or 225mm brickwork.

The new lintel should be a minimum 200mm longer than the opening.

And shame on you for replacing a timber sash window with Upvc

cheltonian said:
The new lintel should be a minimum 200mm longer than the opening.

And shame on you for replacing a timber sash window with Upvc

The window I'm taking out is a UPVC one, mentioned sash to give an idea of the size. Anyway what's so hot about the old sash windows, they stuck in the summer, were generally allways a pig to open, rattled with the wind and gave mega condensation in the winter. Not one of the traditional features brigade, seen this hype before, in a couple of years they'll all be back to low ceilings and ripping fireplaces / chimney breasts out again and chinz interiors

Sponsored Links
Lintels should normally have a 150mm end bearing either side.....therefore 300mm wider than opening.

YOu had any luck with Catnic?

peca27 said:
Lintels should normally have a 150mm end bearing either side.....therefore 300mm wider than opening.

YOu had any luck with Catnic?

Not looked into that yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back