little white flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i don't know if anyone else notices them but these little white flowers seem to thrive along the edges of road verges, in particular where the grass verge has lost its grass coating and has become packed mud.

they must get picked up on car tyres and deposited on the muddy verge where they always seem to germinate in the spring. i just find it odd how they flourish in a harsh and otherwise dead area. :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
I got a great idea lets stick them on a rocket and send them to mars.
wait 100 years and the red planet will turn white,

It must be the new speed cameras the government have developed. :)

BOB D.O.L.E said:
bowdown.gif

Sponsored Links
BOB D.O.L.E said:

great idea!

you don't happen to know what they're called do you Bob?

I think you will find they may be SNOWDROPS..but I could be wrong as I have never had time for horticulture :)

You can take a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Stulz said:
I think you will find they may be SNOWDROPS..but I could be wrong as I have never had time for horticulture :)

they definitely 'aint snow drops. these flowers are very short, barely off the ground.

There are alot of these small white flowers on the roadsides near me, not sure what they are called (not snowdrops) they tend to appear each year and it seems like they must like very salty ground, the areas they grow seem to be where the grass and other vegitation is killed off, not just from vehicles, but from the salt spreading from the winter road gritting, or the spray / splash from vehicles when the salty roads are wet. Maybe they are more often found in coastal areas. Just my thoughts

Softus said:
You can take a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Very good Softus..although I confess to having to read it twice as I missed it the first time..I'm getting old you know :LOL:

Now here is a thought, as I said I am not into horticulture, but one thing that strikes me is that any plant living by the side of the road would need to be truly hardy to survive what is, en effect, a very harsh environment. Not only is there all the pollution from vehicles, but the roads in the UK are salted to prevent Ice, so it would make sense that the plant, in it's bulb form at least, would need to be quite salt tolerant, something most plants are not unless they happen to live beside dunes, estuarine river banks and on cliff tops. This being the case, could this flower actually have originated in one of these environments and is now taking advantage of a niche created by the human world that has prevented other plants from exploiting?

noseall said:
Stulz said:

they definitely 'aint snow drops. these flowers are very short, barely off the ground.

I think this is the start of the alian invasion and are disquised as flowers.

It's all about evolution.Life survives and flourishes in the most hostiles environment.These flowers are probely mutated to take advantage of this area.Or they could have come from a meteorite. :rolleyes:

Vehicles are not that hostile to vegetation, it survives remarkably well beside motorways and pretty much most other 'ways'. Splashed / run off salty water from roads makes sfa difference to the verges I see, only visible damage is where tyres have impinged - sometimes a good thing in the lanes where lorries can shave the odd banked verge adding to the cart track width.
:D

BOB DOLE SAID

i've got a better idea, why don't you go on the rocket with them. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back