Liverwort Major problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I identified this very weird plant in an ordinary dictionary after failing to find it in any gardening book.

Apparently its almost prehistoric and a bit of a hermaphrodite as it seems to have all the repro bits in one.

Unfortunately it spreads like wildfire and covers my soil borders surrounding all my plants every summer and stays overwinter.

I slice it off the surface on hot sunny days to try to iradicate it but even the smallest bit left behind allows it to start over.

Any solutions?

Sponsored Links
Glyphosate systemic weedkiller such as Roundup or any of the other brands or cheaper own brand ones available from most DIY sheds or garden centres.
Water it or spray it onto the green part of a plant and it is taken down to the roots where it kills the plant.

If you are going to use glyphosate, spray on a dry cloudy, windless day, early in the morning best, to avoid beneficial insects. It may be possible to use a weed wiper system if dealing with just a few weeds.

thanx guys but I couldn't spray anything on this liverwort as it completely blankets the ground around all my plants and even grows up the stems on some.
There is no way to apply weedkiller soley to the liverwort.

Sponsored Links
patience dear boy. pull out the worst where its around a plant and use a brush to apply it to areas too near other plants

thanx thermo, I did have patience.
Every summer, on hot sunny days I've dug this out for about the last 6 years.
It comes back about 20 sq meters overall

Root out is the way to go.
A weed is a plant you dont want
I had a similar problem, I sprayed, put covering down and mulched, not back (yet !!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back