Load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to remove the wall between my kitchen and the pantry next to my kitchen. The kitchen is approx 4m wide, and the pantry is approx 1m wide. The wall separating the 2 rooms is a single skin brick wall. The joists run perpendicular to the wall, and do sit on top of the wall (I have removed some plasterboard to confirm this). The joists span the entire width of the house (approx 5m). Also, there is no wall on the first floor above the partition wall.

Because the joists span the entire width of the house, and the partition wall is only 1m from the external wall, does this indicate that the wall is probably not load bearing?

Or is the fact that the joists sit on the wall definitive that it is load bearing? (I thought this might just be because of the way the house was constructed???)

I will probably seek professional help with this, but any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
not always if the joists are continous and the wall close to another external wall. in this case the wall in question forms a pantry, so it may have been built purely as a dividing wall, and because the complete joists continue over this wall it may not be load bearing. I'd say it probably isn't, but then its not my house :)

I think you need a professional to look at this.

Sponsored Links
it is not unusual for joists to run 5m un-supported across the width of a house.

it is also feasible to have a wall at third span carrying the joists, where they might join. this wall does not necessarily have to carry on all the way up to first floor, but will probably have a full spec foundation under.

it is unlikely though not impossible that your wall lends support to the joists above.

just make sure that the joists don't join on the wall in question.

There are other simple checks for load bearing walls, like does the plaster for the ceiling run over the top of the wall? or is there a timber wall plate ontop of the wall for the joists over..

If in doubt post photos here or call a Structural Eng out

Thanks for this. I will have a better look at the top of the wall to see what is on there, but I think it is just a layer of mortar between the wall and joists. What is a timber wall plate?

Also, I have just moved in to this terrace and will be visiting the neighbours soon. I think one or two of them have had this wall removed so I will ask them.

Cheers

If its a mortar layer it may not be load bearing, check if the joists are cut over the wall.

It's very unlikely that a single brick wall is loadbearing, but if you measure the joist depth and span, then an architectural engineer would be able to take the information over the telephone and give you the answer from a qualified professional.

If your joists go from sole plate to sole plate ( front to back and are not joined onto the the wall ) then you can knock down the wall, 1 m from the outer wall won't/shoudn't make any diff.

A timber wall plate is a bit of wood normaly 4x2 on top of the last corse of brick work which your roof rafters sit on, a pic would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back