Locating plug socket for electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently renovating my flat and am halfway through the kitchen. I am going to get someone in to connect up my electrics but need to position all the base units before I get someone to both link up gas and connect the electrics.
I have cemented mains wire into the wall for the sockets (the electric oven just needs a 13A socket) but am concerned about where the socket for the oven should go in relation to the oven housing itself.

It is a built-in oven and ideally I would like to put the plug socket directly behind the oven which would mean it would be inside the base unit the oven sits in. Is this wise or should I make sure the socket is outside the oven unit?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Duncan

Sponsored Links
For undercounter appliances (ovens, fridges, dishwashers etc) you can put an unswitched socket in the wall behind the appliance, but you need a 20A DP switch, above the counter, so you can isolate it for servicing or in an emergency. The cable between the two should be run vertically so that you will have an idea of where it is next time you are drilling holes in the wall.

In a kitchen, you can conveniently run the socket circuit horizontally, 150mm above the counter top, with all your sockets, switches and FCUs in a neat row.

As you are in England and this is a kitchen you need to advise your local authority building control office who will inspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back