Location of light switches inside wall cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

two existing flush light switches on a bedroom wall have been effectively relocated because the owner decided to create a wardrobe. One switch is for the main lighting and the other for a bedside light which is located above the wardrobe unit. The bed side light is controlled by two way wiring.
1. The switches could be relocated by placing them outside the bedroom but this would be inconvenient, although I suppose legal.
2. Or the switches could be relocated on the side of the wardrobe, which in terms of finish would be quite tricky as the panel is made of mdf. This would be the best solution in terms of the user. Maybe someone knows of a plastic fitting that could be used to mount the switches so they are still flush fitting?
3. could the switches be left where they are? :idea:

THis work is part of an extension to a bungalow and has to be signed off. :oops:

Thank you in advance for any advice on this problem :D

Sponsored Links
1 is perfectly legal.

2 may be buit may not be depending on whether the wardrobe is fixed permanently into the fabric of the building.

3 is legal just a pain.

They should bite the bullet and do it properly, i.e. new switch cable, rechased walls and new switch, the 3 above are, to be completely frank, bodges.

Thanks for the advice Didthathurt.

Yes the cupboard is built in to the extent that it is securely attached to the wall and forms part of an overhead bunk type bed. The wardrobe and storage unit is also located against one side of the doorway. The doorway is itself located flush to the dividing wall and the door opens against the wall and can't be rehung to lie against the wardrobe as it will interfere with the opening of the wardrobe door! So the option to locate the switches inside the room would mean locating them behind the door.
This arrangement is one of two rooms -designed to be used as childrens bedrooms and the extension which contains the rooms has a sloping roof that forms part of the ceiling and I can't run cable into that space. All the wiring is as usual located in the roof space and the floor is oak over concrete. So unless I have my arm twisted up my back its one of three bodges! best for me, since its my daughter's house, and I am doing the work for cups of tea! is that I leave the switches inside the cupboard!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back