Locked ladders topic - to the MODERATOR.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That was a bit harsh locking the post.

One of the most dangerous places for DIY is having left the ground, and any information about better approaches will save more injuries than any amount of carping by the corgi pack.

I had luckily got some VERY useful infomation from this topic about 1/2 hour before you locked it.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
That was a bit harsh locking the post.

One of the most dangerous places for DIY is having left the ground, and any information about better approaches will save more injuries than any amount of carping by the corgi pack.

I had luckily got some VERY useful infomation from this topic about 1/2 hour before you locked it.

i agree. old threads asking for help with this problem and a new reply should be locked, but threads on SAFETY should be left open, no matter how old. as we all know, working on ladders can be dangerous and you put your life in a ladder. therefore you want to know as much about the ladder as possible. and locking threads, therefore stopping any relevant info is just plain stupidity

and removing what he said is just ignorance. just means when someone else wants to know, there has to be a seperate thread all because you just love removing all new posts on old threads

I locked it.

As I said in the post, it was nice for the reply, but it was 4 months out of date, which means if we (moderators) let one old post get replied to, we must let them all get replied to. To do that would be of no use to the forum, people would reply to 3 year old posts, which some still do.

Also I considered leaving the information, but it looked too much like a "free ad"

As you know this site costs money to run, and we can not allow free ads.

moderator said:
Also I considered leaving the information, but it looked too much like a "free ad"

no problem. i will not do any more advertising of your site to other people who need diy help etc unless im getting paid. that mainly includes linking to this site on other sites/forums where people are asking for diy help.

Sponsored Links
I hear what you say, but as I said, there is no free advertising allowed on this site. I just removed another poster trying to get a fee ad.

moderator said:
I locked it.

We know

As I said in the post, it was nice for the reply, but it was 4 months out of date, which means if we (moderators) let one old post get replied to, we must let them all get replied to. To do that would be of no use to the forum, people would reply to 3 year old posts, which some still do.

Nonsense. This is a jobsworth type reply, worthy of a boot fair carpark attendant. The topic in question had a strong connection with GRAVITY (9.81m/s2) effective at full strength everywhere I've been, and I haven't found the OFF switch yet. I've been to places where the electricity supply didn't work, or the water was turned off, or the oil had run out, BUT I HAVE NEVER FOUND A PLACE WHERE GRAVITY WAS OUT OF ORDER.

You probably aren't aware that 30,000 yes, 30,000, that's thirty thousand) injuries are caused to children every year through falling down stairs!!!!!! As we grow older we go up less stable things, and hope we don't come down too fast.

OMG, my heart bleeds for you, you poor things. At least DIYnot gets a stonking income...... Largely from the efforts of people who post answers to other peoples questions, and we don't get paid anything so you'll excuse me if I don't bother to wipe away the crocodile tears.

You had better delete every reference to Screwfix, after all if you delete one advert, you had better delete them all. Eventually the site will be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

There is a fine line between advertising and reference. It was stepped over.

de de de, dee de do, de de de diddle ho.

arrrrrrr get over it.

moderator said:
if we (moderators) let one old post get replied to, we must let them all get replied to.

That's quite cleary rubbish. If you let an old post based on a topical health and safety issue get ressurected, then does that mean that if someone replies to a 6 month old post about getting ink off a pair of trousers you are unable to lock it? I don't think so.

oilman said:
At least DIYnot gets a stonking income...... Largely from the efforts of people who post answers to other peoples questions

Hi oilman, i beg to diifer.

I have paid for ads on my sites, you can have as many as you like, BUT, you only get paid if some one clicks on the ad, not how many times the ad is seen, so to say the income is down to the posters is not true.

remeber the endless pools and the tin ceilings ad? although we all joked about it, the owner would not get paid unless some one clicked on the ad.

It gets better (or worse) too.

the owner of the ad shown gets charged per click by google, it can be anything from 20p to around £1 (yes really that little)

google will give 1% yes a meagre 1%* of that charge to those displaying the ad

so for a £1 ad the person showing it gets 1p for every click, thats 100 clicks to get £1

if no one clicks on the ad the person gets zip.

now assuming that the owner of diy not gets say £30 / month )they wont send payment untill it reaches £100, so you can wait for a month or 2, its NOT a regular income.

now with all the pages and views this site has that must use a lot of bandwidth.

I had to hide short video clips on my site as people looked but never brought, but before i hid the clips (available by special request now) i went over my monthly band width allowance twice in 2 months. but due to a technicality i was ok, but i was told if i wanted to continue i would have to upgrade my monthly allowance which i did.

the clips i had were only several hundred k, not even an 1 /8 of a meg each, but lots of people watched them just to see.

so although this forum is mostly text, the number of people using it and posting must use a lot of band width.

so i dont think the owner makes much money.

and if you are going to say "well if they dont make much money why do they do it, they only do it for money so you (breezer) are wrong" that is also not true.

Like you, i and others post on here becuse we like to help, some people do things because they want to. Just like you and me.

* I can find out exactly how much per click if you want, but its about right.

and i have some friends who pay to advertise, they ask me not to clikc on their ads should i see them as it cost money which soon adds up.

breezer said:

the clips i had were only several hundred k, not even an 1 /8 of a meg each, ..........................

1/8 M is 125k, "several hundred k" must be more than 1/8 meg.

moderator said:
I locked it.

Does it really really matter :?:

The forum can look after itself for though who want to read it or ignore it.

Why not just delete grant.mackay post if you're not happy with it but to lock the whole topic is unfair to others.

I can't see anywhere in the rules stating don't reply to old post.

could we not have a compromise when a thread is locked and it contains information thats safety critical!!!!!!

all the mods would need do is split the post at a specific point lock the post

with a link to the "new thread" and a link back to the old thread if there are any points that will clarify the issue

in my humble opinion i cant see any point in worrying about old post being answerd [apart from the usual"this problem has probably been sorted by now ect" as a freindly bit off advice]
sometimes old posts revisited can be helpfull :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
Back