Loft Bedroom BC Regs Clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm currently planning a fairly large extension to my 60's built 3 bed bungalow. The new build extension will incorporate an upstairs 'loft style' bedroom, but will not use any of the existing loft space. The staircase will ascend from the existing hall way which runs down the centre of the house, and which also has the main front door entering into it.

I'm getting conflicting opinions on whether the top of the stairs which enters the 'loft' bedroom needs to have a door and landing, or whether it can be open plan. I favour the latter, and appreciate a conventional third storey loft conversation would have to, but does this apply to a bungalow? I am planning to have a "means of escape" window in the bedroom.

I have seen many pictures of loft conversions where the stairs simply open out into the room, and just have hand rails / balustrades.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back