Loft Boarding and Ventilation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to board some of my loft for storage. I have been reading the past posts on the subjects and would like some advice.

I intend to use chipboard T&G loft flooring from Homebase and board about three areas in the loft with a 3 meters square. I will also be boarding along the rafters that will be used to walk from one area to another and to the loft hatch.

The insulation in the loft if fibreglass and is up to the top of the rafters. If I board on top of this, (so the insulation is touching the underside of the flooring), will it cause a damp problem through the lack of ventilation under the boarded area?.

It this is the case I will put battens at right angles to the rafters and lay the boards on this, but what size battens should I use and what spacing.

Many thanks

Mottsy

Sponsored Links
I put mine on battens but whether this was needed for vetilation or not I couldn't say.

It did make it easier to get round cables going over the joists though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back