Loft conversion (Crimping multiples together)

S

sparky40

Hello All,
On a site I am working on the customer has been informed by my 'builder' that joint boxes are no longer permitted unless accessible etc, the problem being that his existing circuits have various jb's, many of which need attention.(He wants them all taken out. ).
Any idea's how I can crimp multiple conductors please , 3 x 2.5 mm2 conductors for instance ?
I have limited, if no experience of soldering this kind of joint. would this be an option ?
Thanks for your time and help, idea's.

Sponsored Links
Use 'through' crimps (blue for 2.5) and then heatshrink for a tidier finish
Ratchet style crimpers are a better bet than the manual ones ;)

Thanks Ricicle,
This I understand when you have two conductors to join, but three ???

Sponsored Links
You will find it easier if you trim the lengths so the crimps are staggered, not all next to each other in a fat bundle. Crimps with their own heat shrink are ideal. You can then either over-sleeve the lot, or protect it with a box or a length of plastic conduit or mini-trunking (you are trying to substitute for the sheathing that is not present).

I would say ratchet crimp pliers are essential. You need to spend £20 or so. They usually fit 1.5 to 6mm with three sets of "teeth." I have CK which seem good. There are some cheap ones by no big name at about £12 that are rubbish.

For 3x2.5mm you could use yellow 6mm crimps, 2 in one side and 1 doubled over in the other side.

It's very hard to make a 3 cable joint look tidy with SA tape or heat shrink so you're probably better of putting the joint in a box. I've seen a JB used, forget the terminals just house your crimped joint inside. Or you could use a surface box and blanking plate. Adaptable and conduit boxes are ok just a bit more expensive

Crimps are not ideal for multi solid cable joints so as John said, take care when preparing the termination.

Sorry Gentleman, I am familiar with crimping and have the C.K ratchet crimping tool, I was more interested in knowing if there were 3 or 4 'way' crimps on sale anywhere ?. The existing loftspace is littered with j.b's , some having four or five 1.5mm's in them.
I do thank you for your previous advice.

Rewiring is not an option in this case, the customer just wants the joint boxes replaced with crimped joints after chatting with the builder.

Rather than mess around with a size too big crimp and doubled up cable which sounds a tad dodgey to me, I'd just make sure the joint boxes are sound (decent make, terminations neat, screws done up and undamaged) and leave them as they are (perhaps bit of that loctite thread locking glue on the head as well), not exactly to the regs, but better than a crimp connection that in the cirumstances might not be as good as it could be* (crimps generally are excellent when they're good, and totally crap when they are not so good)

*Not sure about all this three cables stuff, using the yellow connectors and doubleing them over doesn't fill me with confidence, tbh

id advise them that crimped joints are not foolproof and may still need to be accessed the same as a jb,after all its still a joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back