Loft conversion joist problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the planning stage of a loft extension on a 50's Bungalow . I know that generally RSJ's or thicker joists are required but during the course of reboarding a ceiling today I've discovered what I think may be a problem ?
The property has Finloc sectional concrete guttering which combines to become a ring lintel. This has a U section cast in which houses the header plate which the roof struts are fitted to. I know that in usual construction the ceiling joists would also rest on this but mine are fixed to the roof struts about 6 inches up. This means that an RSJ or similar won't be able to rest directly on the plate and if I could there'd be 6 inches of girder in each room to deal with.
Is it possible to use wooden padstones ,or suchlike , on top of the header plate ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back