loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help with information regarding loft conversions, i am limited with money and time so i cannot get the professionals in to undertake this project, but i need to know that as i am having a large velux opening window installed as a means of escape then do i still need fire doors and if so do i need them for the door to the loft or all of the doors on the landing. also someone mentioned that i need to strengthen the floor , if this is true why and how do i get the info for this.please help me as time is limited and i must get this sorted before my baby is born .thanks Ary Hauer

Sponsored Links
You will need a Fire Door on the entrance to the loft at the least and the floor will most probably need to be strengthened because at present it has joists that are only acting as a ceiling for the room below and are not designed to be used as floor joists.The average ceiling joist is 75mm x 50mm and floor joists are usually at least double that.Taking on a job this size is not really for the beginner so learn as much as you can first and check out the Planning Dept info too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back