loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how much would an average loft conversion cost? mainly to incoropate one room and en-suite?

Sponsored Links
With the cowboy builders we have today it is not the quoted cost but the misery and cost of correction work required.
I would strongly advise an architect or other qualified person to detail exactly what is too be done. You will have to meet building requirements so visit council planning dept for free info.

Sponsored Links
Im just starting my conversion having gone through having plans drawn up and having building regs authorised, converting a large loft space with an en-suite plus a large dorma window is costing approx £16,000 saving approx £2,000 with myself doing some of the finishing, this does not include the bathroom fittings but does include the pluming

HAMILTONANDY ONE VERY WISE MAN GET THREE OR FOUR QOUTES FROM REPUTABLE BUILDERS WHO SPECAILISE IN THIS FIELD OF WORK AND STICK LIKE GLUE TO BUILDING REGS AND LOCALCOUNCILPLANNING DETAILS DONT FORGET IF YOU SELL THE HOUSE AN THIS WORK HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED YOU ARE UP CREEK MINUS YOUR PADDLE AS MY DAD USED TO SAY YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

What is the most expensive aspect of doing this?

I would love to do a conversion but I don't have £20,000 to kill. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to pay for someone to do the stairs into the loft, and someone to run the plumbing, but to do the rest myself? ie finishing, laying the floor, running the electrics, etc etc. How much should something like this cost me to pay for just the stairs and the plumbing?

Geoffrey

I had someone around to quote on a loft conversion - he killer was the fire regulations. I would need to build stud partitions in my open plan dining room/stair well area to create a 'self contained' exit from top floor to front door - all way too complicated, messy & expensive. I guess a better solution would have been an external exit via spiral staircase.
Another option is DIY loft conversion but this would not be to building code and therefore could never be described as anything more than a boarded out loft.
Steve

the bear said:
reading previous letters is this the best way to go about sorting the ins and outs of loft conversion.
1) employ a qualified person to design
2) ask the buildings regulator to approve
3) ask 4 reputable builders to quote for work
4) on completion ask regulator for satisfactory certificate
or is there a differentor better way around the ins and outs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back