Loft electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new house - so in theory have decent electrics. I have separate circuits for both downstairs and upstairs and separate for both lighting and sockets. I currently run a standard bulb plugged into a socket on the first floor for the loft. I am now making an ad-hoc loft coversion where I want more permanent lighting/sockets. I am taking a connection from two sockets on the ring downstairs to create two double sockets in the loft and am curious if I have to use a separate lighting circuit to power the lights for the loft or would be ok to use the power from a standard socket that would be on the socket that was extended from the 1st floor?

Sorry if it sounds confused.
Paul

Sponsored Links
Paul, running an extension for the ring is one thing, so long as you remember to close the ring again, but you cannot run you light from this circuit directly.

In order to use this circuit you would need to install a fused spur (FCU) with a 3A fuse installed. This would then power the light. Mounted adjacent to your loft hatch it would operate as a light switch to, thus negating the need for the installation of a seperate switch.

My intension is,
where I have the two sets of wires going into a socket downstairs, the ring, extending a third set of wired from there up into the loft for a second spocket; the spur. What you are I assume saying is I can run another line from this to lights provided I run them thru a 3A fuse box?

Thanks for your help
Paul

what is a "spocket" and ideally no you shouldn't do that as you will then be having a spur off a spur (we wont go there) you shoud extend the ring, via a 30 A junction box, so that the ring is unbroken, while you are at it, you could also put the FCU on the ring too, to operate the light

Sponsored Links
As I have two sockets next to each other downstairs could I not run one for the lighting with a 3A fuse box, and the other for a double socket ?

"spocket" - hmm, sarcasm.

Thanks for you spell checking.
Paul

not really, as i said extend the ring, your idea uses 2 cables any way, as does mine, but mine is safer.

you will of course be using 2.5mm T & E wont you (but you knew that)

Gonna, if you have two sockets close to each other, identify which cable is linking them, and remove it, or cut it off, at both sockets. Then from each of these sockets run a new leg of cable up to your loft.

One leg from each socket will go to one socket in the loft. Then, take another piece of 2.5mm cable and use it to run a link from one socket to a Switched Fused Connection Unit (SFCU) adjacent to the loft hatch. Then take another 2.5mm cable from the SFCU to the other socket you have installed in your loft. This way you maintain the integrity of the ring.

In the SFCU, the two lots of 2.5 cable that connects to the sockets should be terminated, together, in the terminals marked FEED. From the terminals marked LOAD, take a piece of 1.5mm Cable to the light you wish to power, remembering to change the fuse in the fuseholder of the SFCU to a 3A (They are sold with 13A fuses in them)

Remember, all the bare copper cores in these cables are your EARTH's, these must be SLEEVED and they must all be connected.

Thank you for the help.

Nicely broken down in the end for me !

I am going to extend the ring.

another possiblly easier option

run the light off the upstairs lights
and the socket off a spur from the ring

plugwash said:
another possiblly easier option

run the light off the upstairs lights
and the socket off a spur from the ring

Sometimes the best solutions are staring you in the face!

It's funny how you can be led into one train of thought when the best solution is alltogether different!

Well said!

But he did say two sockets in the loft, that would require a ring! :D

Breezer mate:

You sound ratty......and full of sarcasm.

I thought you were pro-patience and always ready to explain things carefully, for this is a DIY forum don't you know.

Not that you'd know it from your contributions so far.....

Try practicing what you preach mate. You've NEVER made a spelling error, have you?

you have the wrong end of the stick, i thought "spocket" was well funny, it wasn't intended to be sarcastic

securespark said:
Breezer mate:

You sound ratty......and full of sarcasm.

I thought you were pro-patience and always ready to explain things carefully, for this is a DIY forum don't you know.

Not that you'd know it from your contributions so far.....

Try practicing what you preach mate. You've NEVER made a spelling error, have you?

Poor ol Breezer,

first he gets made homeless ;) , then gets grief for his abstract sense of humour!

Never mind buddy!

Although I did think the "spocket" comment was sarcastic - I did take it in the way that I see it was meant, a funny way. Having read it again it amused me moderately too. Spelling mistakes often make amusing reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back