loft insulation and boarding over insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just filled my victorian semi with 200mm loft insulation from B&Q ( covered ) and chipboard for the flooring. I have since been advised that if the boarding goes over the insulation it will compress the insulation and the ceilings below will crack.

Do i buy 150mm thick insulation and overboard. or what are my options as i need the loft for lots of storage. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists are only rated to carry the ceiling and little else. You'll have to reinforce the joists if you want to store 'lots of stuff'.

spanner01 said:
I have just filled my victorian semi with 200mm loft insulation from B&Q ( covered ) and chipboard for the flooring. I have since been advised that if the boarding goes over the insulation it will compress the insulation and the ceilings below will crack.

Do i buy 150mm thick insulation and overboard. or what are my options as i need the loft for lots of storage. :rolleyes:

thats a load of trash, the insulation will compress but that will not cause the ceilings to crack, the only thing that will make it crack is when your laying the boards down ( and that depends if your ceiling joists are not very big ) when you have layed the flooring down, then that will spred the load.

Sponsored Links
markie said:
thats a load of trash, the insulation will compress but that will not cause the ceilings to crack, the only thing that will make it crack is when your laying the boards down ( and that depends if your ceiling joists are not very big ) when you have layed the flooring down, then that will spred the load.

there is some truth in this...the boarding if fixed to the existing joists properly will give a compound bearing structure and spread the load..when i did building design there was a british standard for dispersal of loads
personally i put most of my loft storage near supporting walls..inner or outer

as for the insulation..when i took possession of a new house the insulation was well over the roof truss horizontal bearers but i did some boarding and it was compressed in that area...didn't affect the ceilings
i did however fix the boarding with screws at 30cm centres..giving the compound effect...
on a modern trussed roof the trusses are designed to take a point load anywhere in the roof area...so giving a measure of strength for storage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back