Loft insulation for a chalet bungalow

12 Jan 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a chalet bungalow built in the 60s that has recently had the former loft space partitioned.
The result is that I have a small loft space in the upper pitch of the roof which is insulated with fibre glass wool between the joists of the upstairs ceiling. At the lower end of the roof space there is a similar loft void on either side of the pitch which is insulated with fibre glass wool between the joists holding up the lower floor ceiling. I hope that all makes sense so far.
What is not insulated is the area between these two sections (i.e. the small gap between the angled ceiling in the upstairs rooms and the roof timbers. I am wondering how best to insulate this without risk of condensation rotting the timbers. Should I use a polystyrene type of insulation with a gap to allow airflow or use glass fibre or the like to completely seal the gap? Comments and suggestions appreciated
Sponsored Links
Use Polystyrene or better still one of the rigid insulations like Kingspan or Celotex, leave a 50mm airspace under the roof covering for ventilation and fill the rest with insulation. So if your rafters are 100mm use 50mm insulation.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links