Loft Issue - looking for a quick fix!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, What a great site - Iv just spent my first hour on it and learnt loads! :)

Id be really grateful if someone could advise me on my problem.. Iv just boarded my loft in my new house which has a slate roof (nothing underneath) and straight away everything got covered in dust from the slate.. Iv read other posts that suggest brown paper (to catch slate dust and be able to spot leaks :eek: ) and also not insulating in any way(as who wants to insulate the attic roof when they should be insulating ceilings of top floor :idea: ) All new to me but makes sense!!

Is brown paper (any type in particular and how do i attach it?) the way forward or how about some chip board or ply!? Or some sort of poly plastic covering? I just want to store boxes and clothes up there. Looking for something quick and cheap. Thanks in advance..

Kind regards

Nat

Sponsored Links
It is what ever you want really,if it is purely for preventing dust and you are not to worried about what it looks like go for "brown" building paper ,and staple it to the underside of the rafters.It has to be easier getting a roll of that into the loft than sheet material and cheaper

The better stuff (from builders merchants) is called "Grade A" builders paper and has a black layer in the middle to make it resistant to damp. It is also a bit stronger than "parcel" paper.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
The better stuff (from builders merchants) is called "Grade A" builders paper and has a black layer in the middle to make it resistant to damp. It is also a bit stronger than "parcel" paper.
Is it the same as the building paper I mentioned :rolleyes:

There is a Grade A building paper, and a Grade B which is cheaper and without the water-resistant layer.

So, sort of the same ;) no offence intended :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back