loft lighting junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am extending my upstairs lighting into the loft and having a single bulkhead light fitted. This will be operated from a standard switch near the loft hatch. I have the wiring diagram for fitting a four way junction box, (switch cable, existing loom in, existing loom out, and new spur cable)...so I know how that will be arranged, but was wondering which kind of junction box I should get...i.e wattage ?
Sorry if this is such a real basic question, but I have all the info for the job apart from this :)
Many thanks & kind regards

M

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 amp, but i think you will find your lamp will be "dim", flourescents are good for lofts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant !..thanks for that Breezer. Will look into fluorescent light as well.

Cheers,

M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5 amp, but i think you will find your lamp will be "dim", flourescents are good for lofts
Just asked same sort of question today !
I was told 20amp or 30amp ! not 5amp junction box
I am running off a junction box already in loft on my circuit, to create new light and switch
JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO IS RIGHT :!: :!:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Breezer must of bn asleep when he posted that....

5amp i belive he refers to a Fused Spur for a light...

30amp everytime for a junc box..... bigger the better.... otherise its hard to get the cables in....

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The point about large terminals not gripping small wires (1mm) is very valid. The terminal screws with a pointed end leave enough space for a a 1mm to fit loosely even when the screw is fully screwed down.

Having found this in a house with flickery lights my solution was to file off the points of the screws so a flat surface pressed onto the wires.

Sponsored Links