Loft rafters cut and moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm currently moving my loft hatch and require some advice.

I've located the area I wish to move the hatch to but I've come across something worrying.

The rafters in the the area I wish to place it have been cut and nailed side by side. This means that the rafters are angled. I've attached a picture to give you and idea of what I mean.

Can I move them back in line and butt them end to end using some sort of attachment to tie them together or is there a reason for them being the way they are?

If I keep them this way the loft hatch will run at an angle against the cut pieces.

Hope this makes sense.

thanks

loft.jpg

Sponsored Links
From the photo I presume you are going to install the loft hatch where the drill is. Where the top left circle is there is either a brick or timber stud wall below and this why the ceiling joist cross over at this point and are lapped side by side because the wall supports the ceiling joists.The sag in the joist is common The circled area bottom right is the only timber that needs to be cut. you need to form a frame in the area of the top right and the bottom left circle and you should not have to cut these timbers. Fix a length of timber from the bottom left circle across to the joists to the wall cutting through the middle joist,this will form the first part of the frame. Measure across the width of the loft hatch and repeat the process (BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO TREAD ON JOIST YOU ARE CUTTING THROUGH), you will then have a frame. Measure the length of the loft hatch and cut a timber to suit. fix in place and cut through the plasterboard. Install the hatch. P.S. invest in a good sharp saw for this job, happy cutting

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back