Long delay between pressing switch and light coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are two lights in our communal hallway. These are standard lightbulbs and are not halogens fed by a transformer.

One is fed from the electricity in my flat the other from the electricity supply in the other flat.

There is a two way switch next to each of the flat's doors. One button controls one light and the other button the other light.

There is a long delay between pressing the switch by my flat and the corresponding light coming on? By long I mean, 2 - 3 seconds. There is no delay when I turn it off.

Any ideas as to why this might be?

Sponsored Links
you're sure it's not an energy saving lightbulb?

since electricity travels at a finite speed, the longer the cable run, the bigger the delay when turning on a light. perhaps your cable is about 600,000 miles long?

slippyr4 said:
you're sure it's not an energy saving lightbulb?

since electricity travels at a finite speed, the longer the cable run, the bigger the delay when turning on a light. perhaps your cable is about 600,000 miles long?
imagine the voltage drop on that...

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
perhaps your cable is about 600,000 miles long?
That's an absurd suggestion. The cost would be prohibitive, not to mention the impracticality of trying to route such an unweildy length of cable. The voltage drop over such a length would likely also prevent the luminaire actualy glowing at all. If you ony need a delay of 2 to 3 seconds, I've always found 450,000 miles to be quite satisfactory. :LOL:

Have you noticed your booze stash diminishing mysteriously? Perhaps the electricity is stopping for one drink too many along the way, then it's a case of two steps forward, one step back. That's why it's delayed....

I am an idiot. The lightbulb is energy saving. Sorry for wasting your time. Having found some wierdness in the house electrics before I am a little jumpy about everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back