Looking for a timer to add to a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi gents.
Is is possible to add an on/off timer to a ceiling lamp so that the light comes on and off around every 15 minutes or so for secturity purposes.

Sponsored Links
Yeah Smiths make a digi timeswitch to replace a normal lightswitch. Think there was 700 in the model number, but it was 4 years ago I fitted it, so not sure. Get to a wholesaler and ask to look in the Smiths catalogue..

give them a ring : 020 8450 0515

I could kiss you, don't you just love the internet :eek:

Smiths Timeguard ZV700 http://www.connectstores.com/P.E.D/sp_18461-45.html#A118003
Tzv700.jpg

Sponsored Links
With all that switching on and off is there not a danger of a bulb blowing and tripping the system, thereby negating the security? Just a thought.

Yes there is, and a blown bulb could take out the fuse in the supply which after around 24 hours would mean that the timer would lose it's settings.
Ideas anyone?

Timer switch in series with a soft-start dimmer?

An X10-type installation to raise the brightness gradually? (Could perhaps program random on/offs with this).

Rough service lamps?

LED lamps?

Fit lamps that are double fused, so the fuses inside the lamps blow instead of the CU device.

Get lamps rated 240, not 230V.

Still waiting for that kiss........ :LOL:

securespark said:
Still waiting for that kiss........ :LOL:
Given the poster's name, I'm not sure that he'd be interested in kissing you.

Anywhere.

Not even if you behave like a tw*t.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back