Looking for timber for garden - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking for some sort of timber for my garden i can use for an edge border and also to creat some planters/ decorative features.
I have seen in someones garden what i want but not sure what its called or where to get it.
Measurement i want are roughly 15 x 25 cm. length not bothered as i can cut it too apprpriate size.
Any advice please.

Sponsored Links
That sounds like the size of roofers batten. It is used for nailing slates and tiles to. You can get it in a timber yard. They may have several slightly different sizes, you may as well get whatever is cheapest. It is usually treated against rot, but if you use it in contact with the ground, it will rot away anyway after a year or two. It is rough-sawn, not planed, which looks "right" in a garden. It sounds a bit thin for a border edging to me. If you go to a proper timber yard (not a DIY superstore) see what they have, cheap, in a bigger section.

It is possible to treat timber in contact with the ground, but it's more expensive and more trouble than just buyoing plenty and replacing it when necessary.

If you use this stuff for things like trellis, you can use fence stains on it and it will last as long as a fence.

edited to say... this is complete rubbish.

JohnD said:
That sounds like the size of roofers batten. It is used for nailing slates and tiles to. You can get it in a timber yard. If you use this stuff for things like trellis, you can use fence stains on it and it will last as long as a fence.

theres a typo somewhere johnD :LOL: :LOL: ;)

15x25 cm is 6x10"!!!!! thats railway seepers size is this correct jackpot !!!!

I'm with b-a sounds like sleepers. I would go for new oak ones rather than reclaimed as they can have some dodgy chemicals on them.

Jason

Sponsored Links
15x25mm...15x25cm....15x25km... it's all the same to me

bet youve had some intresting deliveries then!

oak sleepers are nice, but new softwood sleepers are also very good. Uniform size, easy to cut and handle and look great. Dont bother with old ones, heavy, smelly, full of creosote, difficult to cut, leak in the hot weatehr and stain your clothes, full of nails, not suitable for use near children etc etc

I have a garden with a soil area with a concrete slab path seperating it in the middle leading up to the front door. What i would like is to use these sleepers in the soil area to break the area up into say 4 different sections. The idea so that i will have planting areas and also to lay stones/ pebbles for a decorative contempary look.

Will i be able to treat the sleepers (or buy treated) so that i can half bury them in the ground to keep them stable.

Is this acceptable? Any advice thanks

I used garden decking planks to create raised beds - they are cheap and importantly are pre-treated to stand the weather, and they look cool too. Just a couple high, screwed to small posts which are cemented in. Very easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back