Looking to buy a good drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

can anyone advise on a drill, corded is fine, to regularly go through concrete. To make small holes really, not for massive holes like making flues etc.

I would like to buy a Makita, but i am not sure what the difference is between a rotary hammer, percussion and sds plus. I don't really want to buy sds bits, just to use normal bits. I have used an sds once before and was very impressed with the power.

Also read some horror stories of buying a drill without a clutch and safety is a priority for me...would like to spend £80 or so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
to regularly go through concrete
I don't really want to buy sds bits
I have used an sds once before and was very impressed with the power

points 1 and 2 just dont go together. Point 3 agrees.

The difference between a rotary hammer and a percussion is basically the way it hammers, a rotary hammers a percussion taps.
Really if drilling concrete you ought to look at a rotary hammer. SDS is the "fitting" if you like - much easier than ****ing about with a chuck key or even a keyless, and then cant slip.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101377&ts=17002
none under £99 though, but maybe if you shop around. Definately get one with a clutch, how much would a broken jaw or worse cost you ? I once had a cheapo sds mains drill, luckicly I was using a borrowed dewalt when I was under a kitchen sink making a hole for a waste pipe and it jammed, the clutch kicked in but I still got a whack in the gob, had that been my cheapo drill I'd have been seriously hurt. The following day my cheapo went in the bin, I think it cost £30 or £40, I'd lose that in income in the time it took me to wait in casualty....

Theses are fantastic machines. Although the SF price is more than you mentioned, you can usually find them for about £100.
Can be used as a drill, hammer drill, or chisel.
As said, SDS bits are the way if you do any amount of concrete drilling. You may need to buy some SDS bits, but deffinatly worth it. You can also get a chuck with SDS fitting so it can be used with standard shank drills aswell.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101377&ts=88306&id=59857

Sponsored Links
If its for occasional use then a cheapie will do.

Argos have a SDS in their clearance sale at the moment for £19.99 -half price

I can't see the desire purely for a Makita, as all the professional units are as good as each other. And for everyday drilling, you will get no problems without a clutch. It will only jamb in rare, extreme cases such as using very long bits, drilling at an angle or with diamond core drills at an angle.

Screwfix have a Bosch on offer for £99 - you've just missed the dewalt offer for £69.

If you are doing some breaking, then look for a roto-stop feature. SDS-plus allows chisel bits to be inserted and turned around to a suitable angle without needing the hold the drill in a particular angle.

Hitachimad said:
no it cant - the HR2450 can be used for chiselling though
As said, SDS bits are the way if you do any amount of concrete drilling. You may need to buy some SDS bits, but deffinatly worth it. You can also get a chuck with SDS fitting so it can be used with standard shank drills aswell.
if you get the 2450X it comes with the chuck and adaptor , but NOT TO BE USED ON HAMMER as the power of the hammer will smash the chuck

absolutley and totally agree with eggplant about sds and about the clutch. I ended up with a black eye and very bruised cheek after it went a bit wrong. easy to break your wrist with them as well.

seaangler said:
Hitachimad said:
if you get the 2450X it comes with the chuck and adaptor , but NOT TO BE USED ON HAMMER as the power of the hammer will smash the chuck

I think you've got the wrong quote there.

Hitachimad said:
seaangler said:
Hitachimad said:

I think you've got the wrong quote there.

not quite sure what you mean young sir , let me reiterate

1/The 2020 does not have rotation stop so cannot be used with a chisel

2/ if you fit a chuck and adaptor to a sds drill it is only for use without hammer , as i said the power of the hammer will smash the chuck

Big nod on both the need for a clutch and on the quality of the linked Hitachi drill. I've had a cheap sds drill jamb even doing small jobs and it scared me! The hitachis we use at work all the time and they're real troopers.. bargains for the price.

if you fit a chuck and adaptor to a sds drill it is only for use without hammer , as i said the power of the hammer will smash the chuck

done that with my dewalt and i use it for driving home the 10 inch timberlok screws, hasnt caused it any problems yet. (not doubting you seaangler as im sure that theres many applications where it would) maybe because im driving it into wood?

What i meant was i was not talking about the Makita 2020.
I was talking about the Hitachi DH24PC3.

Sorry for slightly suberting the topic, but what if anything are the differences between the pb3 and the pc3, as i'v seen the pb3 a bit cheaper on ebay.. ?

The PB model is rotary, and rotory hammer only, but the PC model is the 3 mode, rotary, rotary hammer, and hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back