Lorry Drivers aka Steering wheel attendants

S

Soggy_weetabix

Recently, a good mate of mine (who drives HGV's across Europe) asked me about my job. To cut a long story short, he spent a day with me and I promised to spend a week with him on his lorry.

Just fun I thought. Driving....stopping for beers (for me), finishing the day and finding a watering hole for food and more beer (mostly for me)

HOW WRONG I WAS....

Monday at 4.30am we leave the town I live in...travel to Notts, then to Essex, then to London, then Kent, then France. This took time and the lorry and us stopped at 11.30pm French time.

Tuesday started at 3.00am with a drive to Belgium, then onto Holland, back to Belgium, Germany (obviously drops and loads along the way) and the day ends at.... well It didnt. We ploughed on through the night and the next day into Poland. Were now 28 hours without sleep (which really isnt a problem for the passanger I guess).

So the obvious question arises..."your tacho's arwe gonna look dodgy Steve!"
"Nah mate, I pull em out when me 9 hours are up"

3 hours kip and were back on the way to the to UK...drive to Holland and get the boat to North England. Result! it tages 9 hours to get to UK. Thats 18 hours drive solid but 9 hours kip when we get there.

So, UK arrives and off to Aberdeen, Fort something and back to the south which took a meagre 14 hours driving with deliveries.

Was in the pub on the friday night, but this is a dangerous way to make a living... to the average road user not the idiot behiond the wheel.

The best comment my mate could come up with was "I count the lines in the road when I'm this tired"

I do that with sheep when I'm trying to sleep!

David

Sponsored Links
Soggy_weetabix said:
What do you do with sheep? :eek:
Seriously though, that's a worrying way to earn a crust. Surely you can't just take your card out of your "tacho" machine - there must be something that prevents him from doing this amount of hours?

gcol said:
Soggy_weetabix said:
What do you do with sheep? :eek:
Seriously though, that's a worrying way to earn a crust. Surely you can't just take your card out of your "tacho" machine - there must be something that prevents him from doing this amount of hours?

No I dont do that with sheep!
Kids...sheep jumping over a fence...supposed to make tham sleep.

And NO, if you pull your Tacho who knows?

Only if you fall asleep and get pulled in by local authoraties.

Which he has done already and got away with it since Ive have been off that suicide lorry.

This goes on all over europe.

Next time you see a Willi Betz lorry (2 men) they will be hard pushed to give you their names as they are so tired.

Dave

Ever had a convosation with a lorry driver?

Cure for insomnia!

Sponsored Links
its very common for tachos to be removed and new ones replaced - its a good story and u saw half of urope in a few days cool id love to do that.

Back