Lots of fine cracks in plaster walls

11 Sep 2006
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just removed some wallpaper in my 1930's house and would like to paint the walls. The plaster is sound, previously un-painted but has a lot of fine cracks in it. These cracks are too small and far too many to fill by hand. Is there any way I can rescue this wall for painting - I've found products such as polycell basecoat which claims to cover fine cracks, or polycell finishing skim, but the reviews I've read on both of these aren't encouraging! I can't afford get someone in to re-plaster or even skim. Any suggestions? Is there any wonder paint that will fill the cracks :D
Sponsored Links
Depends on how small they are, but if they're hairline crazing, then the emulsion should fill them, try a test area first.
There is a 'Dulux' paint out called flexipaint, infact I have just finished a job with it.
The client bought the paint, and its supposed to be for fine cracks, I cant tell you if it works, cause the job I did the walls were sound, but the clients friend had used it, and she said it was good for cracks.

I thought the paint was a bit thinner than the usual dulux of the shelf paint, but the coverage was excellent.
So it might be worth looking into it and reading all what it says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links