Lots of JBs w/pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this okay or just a bit crap?

The JBs serve a 3 gang light switch. Two of the lights are not yet connected.

pic3.jpg

What would be a better way of doing this?

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Yes, four holes. The two JBs on the left haven't got the lights wired in yet.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
its not very neat. ok in a garage or something but i wouldn't wan't junction boxes on show like that in my house.

I would take feed to sw, and cables from switch to lights. You could even run a 3 core from sw to first ligtht, and then a 2 core frm that light to the next. Third light on its own 2 core.

Try to avoid the use of JB's

Or use some connector strip & enclose it in an adaptable plastic box

If it is in a place where it is not an eysore, but could be readily be inspected if needed (like a beam in a loft/ garage/understairs cupboard etc) then yes it is perfectly OK from a regualtions and safety point of view, but as has been mentioned it is not perhaps the neatest of methods.
If you are happy with the appearance threre is no need to change it, but if you are re-doing it anyway then perhaps a rethink is worth it.

There are also proper 6 terminal JBs available for situations where just a few more terminals are needed than the standard 4 (but don't use the really small ones unless you are a masochist or have the fine finger skills of a watchmaker.)

Otherwise double socket boxes and blanking plates can be used to hold choc-block terminals, and many heating systems are wired that way, (called a wiring centre), usually the terminal strip is fixed to the box with a few M3 countersunk bolts. However, unlsess done well, these substitute one box of spaghetti for a few boxes of simplicity, so may not always be an advantage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back