Loud Banging in Central Heating Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My gas central heating has been working fine until a few days ago. When the boiler is turned on there is very load banging coming from some pipes upstairs and downstairs and in some radiators.

It does not happen every time heating is on. When banging does happen it stops after about 5 minutes. It also stops if i turn off and on the system...

Could this be an air lock or blockage and how can it be fixed?

Any help appreciated as it sounds like the system is going to come through the ceiling...

Sponsored Links
Hi just a thought.

Have you tried bleeding your radiators, sounds indeed like it could be an airlock.

Hi Martwall,

I have bleed all radiators, all appear fine and are hating up ok...

Sponsored Links
Hi.

This may have nothing to do with it at all but it may be something!

This sound slike what used to happen to me. Regardless of whether the heating was on or not, everytime I truned on this one specific hot water tap, the whole of the central heating system used to rock and you could physically hear the pipes shake and bang and clatter. The problem was that one tap. All I did was change the inside bit of the tap and the next time I turned it, it was OK. I dont know if this is of any significance to this, but you may/may not have noticed that it happened at any specific time. Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back