Loud whining noise from Baxi HE Boiler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi condensing combi boiler which was installed about 14 months ago. Over the last few months it has developed a loud whining noise that can be heard throughout the house when I run a bath. It only seems to do it when the water has been running for a while...it doesn't seem to do it when the water is just run for a few minutes. Baxi of course are no help...they simply try to sell me an engineer visit for £225.

Could it be something to do with water flow? It isn't a hammering sound - which I think is sometimes associated with limescale problems. It shouldn't be limescale as I live in only a medium hardness area, the system had a 'flush' on installation and there is a Sentinel protector on the boiler and a Hydroflow limescale preventer on the cold water inlet to the house.

Sponsored Links
Blimey...what a quick diagnosis!

It'll come as no surprise then that I've no idea what one of these is....in which case, do I need to get a plumber in or is it something I could do...with a bit of guidance from the knowledgeable folks on this site?

If I need to get a plumber, what should I expect to pay? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I went to one of the Baxi HE range (can't remember which number) with a similar problem, only 6 months old or so, thought it was the diverter as it really shook the walls, but it turned out to be the fan. The fan works harder when at full rate (DHW), so if the bearings are fooked it can cause a loud noise. Don't know what happened with this particular one as i told the client to call Baxi out under the warranty.

It's either the HE100 or the HE133 - I will have to check when I get home.

It's obviously something linked to the boiler having to work hard....but it's REALLY loud (ie can be heard throughout the house). It almost sounds like a constant vibration coming from 'the system' as opposed to the boiler itself.

On this one I went to, I think it was a HE100, and the noise I ascribed to the fan could be heard through the pipes. The fan was causing the whole boiler to reverberate, and indirectly shake the flow & return pipes.

Of course it could be the pump, but that would not explain why it would only happen on DHW call.

That all sounds plausible to me. As I've had the boiler for just over a year, perhaps it's time for a service anyway.

It is sometimes easier to find where the noise is coming from when you remove the boiler panel. However you have to be gAs safe registered to do this. It would be prudent to call an engineer if the boiler is due a service anyway and point out this issue

Also you don't have to be gas safe registered to remove te panel you have to be able to prove your competent. I know a few gas safe engineers that are **** and not competent so yeah :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back