Low Damp Readings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a semi basement flat.

The two walls that are below ground level were tanked a couple of weeks ago by the management company. I also asked them to check for rising damp on the other walls which they did not do.

I called a company who came and inspected the walls using an electrical conductivity meter and said along with visual evidence they recommend an injection dpc.

When the inspector came out he said the levels showing were low.

As the flat hasn't been lived in for about a year I was wondering if the damp would somehow dry out once the flat is lived in with the heating being used etc.

I am planning on selling the flat once its renovated so if the damp is still likely to show up later on I would rather get it done sooner than later and then have to redecorate etc.

thanks
Andrea

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of that visual evidence?

i sell large extractor fans, g'teed to remove damp, you need at least 3 cost £750 each.

my point is anyone selling a product wil tell you you need it, in your case injecting a damp proof course.

try a search for damp (rising damp was a tv series, it really does not exist)

or get a 2nd opinion from a structural engineer

and no, i dont really sell fans

Softus said:
Can you post a picture of that visual evidence?

The only visual evidence I was aware of were the little red lights flashing on his tester thingy.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i sell large extractor fans, g'teed to remove damp, you need at least 3 cost £750 each.

my point is anyone selling a product wil tell you you need it, in your case injecting a damp proof course.

try a search for damp (rising damp was a tv series, it really does not exist)

or get a 2nd opinion from a structural engineer

and no, i dont really sell fans

I understand what your saying but my problem is I want to sell the flat as soon as its renovated and dont want this coming back as a problem on the survey.

I have had this once before and the buyer pulled out only to see a guarantee for 25 years and then wanted to buy again.

I have a view on what you should do, but you seem to have already decided that you need to inject the walls, so what advice are you actually after? :confused:

Damp-proofing companies who sell injections are notorious for telling every owner that they have damp and need to buy the injections.

The 25 year guarantee often says it is only valid if you hack off all the plaster and re-render with sand and cement; and instead of giving you a refund if it fails, the guarantee usually just offers to give you another injection (which may also fail to do any good).

Softus said:
I have a view on what you should do, but you seem to have already decided that you need to inject the walls, so what advice are you actually after? :confused:

I was asking if any improvement of the 'damp' would be likely once the flat was lived in with heating on etc.

Softus I am also reading the thread you started on 'rising damp' to try and get further insite.

1andrea, I'm sympathetic with your plight. :)

Despite what some people might think, I'm not over-keen to turn this [topic] into a protracted debate about rising damp in general, so could you rephrase your 'wonderings' into some direct questions that we can get our teeth around? :D

Ok

I have been told my empty flat has low levels of rising damp on internal wall and a chemical dpc is required.

Will the 'damp' levels improve once the property is occupied and heated?

If its not rising damp can you suggest any other reasons for these low levels of damp and how they can be impoved without the chemical dpc and associated re-plastering.

I hope I am not annoying you.

Thanks
Andrea

1andrea said:
Ok

I have been told my empty flat has low levels of rising damp on internal wall and a chemical dpc is required.

told by the DPC salesman?

I invited a carpet salesman into my house and he told me I needed new carpets ;)

1andrea said:
As you already suspect, any empty an unheated building will contain damp air, and some of that moisture will be absorbed into the walls. So...

Will the 'damp' levels improve once the property is occupied and heated?
...yes; I would expect them to.

If its not rising damp can you suggest any other reasons for these low levels of damp and how they can be impoved without the chemical dpc and associated re-plastering.
If you have a 'genuine' cause of damp, then it's likely to be a common cause, i.e. leaking gutter, or ground level next to an outside wall being too high, or rendering being faulty and retaining moiture (instead of shunning it).

I hope I am not annoying you.
And I too you. As I said before, I'm sympathetic, and I meant it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back