Low Energy Daylight lightbulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Normal low energy lightbulbs run at a temperature of 2700K to produce a yellowish light. You can get low energy daylight lightbulbs (www.yourlights.co.uk) that simulate the light of the sun at noon but they run at a temperature of 6000K.

If I fit a daylight bulb will I need to replace my lampshade in case it gets too hot?

Sponsored Links
No, a 60w daylight simulation lamp won't put out anymore heat than a 60w 'normal' incandesant lamp, colour temp is a different thing to temperature

this is the same all the way through the thing, 100w incandescant - 100w daylight incandesanct, 15w CFL - 15w daylight CFL

...2700 degrees kelvin, and the lamp would be a puddle of molten metal and glass... :LOL:

Typical colour temperatures are:-
High pressure sodium lamps: 2000K to 2200K
Tungsten filament lamp: 2700K
Tungsten halogen lamps: 3000K
Fluorescent lamps: 2700K to 6500K
Metal halide lamps: 3000K - 5600K
Daylight: 5500 - 6500K

If you fit a 6000K fluorescent lamp in your house, unless you need that colour temperature for technical reasons you will be appalled at how harsh it appears.

They are also considerably more expensive than the 2700-3000K range.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back