Low Frequency noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suffering with a high pitched resonance through our house, have explored the forum with regard to the neighbours boiler but still no nearer the answer. seems to come from the neighbours house but difficult to hear outside anybody got any experience with this type of noise intrusion . I cant really hear it but my wife says its deafening and she can hear it over a fan like a morse code - have isolated everything electric and the boiler in our own place ?????

Sponsored Links
Sound is caused by vibrations.

Go to any place that sells auto mechanic tools, and ask to see what they have in the way of "mechanic's stethoscopes".

A mechanic's stethoscope looks very similar to a doctor's stethoscope, but they have a metal probe instead of a cup. A mechanic will use that kind of stethoscope to determine where a noise is coming from when a machine (like a car engine) is running. When the probe is touched against the part of the machine that's vibrating, the probe will also vibrate, causing the metal diaphragm it's attached to to vibrate, and you will hear the resulting noise in the ear pieces of the stethoscope. The noise will be loudest when the amplitude of the vibrations is greatest, and that is normally where the noise is originating from.

I have a cheap $15 ($Cdn) mechanic's stethoscope that good enough for a DIY'er like me, but you can also pay hundreds of dollars for very high quality professional models. I'd say you only need a cheapie.

Thanks for the tip - will look one out should the offender not do something

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back