low voltage lighting with dimmer switch

zyg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
getting conflicting advice on what type of dimmer switch to use with 12V halogen lights.
I have wired up 6 of these lights each with its own dimmable electronic transformer rated at 65W.The lamps are 50W rated.
I need a 1gang,2 way dimmer to operate the lights but what sort?I have been told to get a switch specific for low voltage lighting that would cost in the region of £35 but another source has said a normal switch rated at 400w and costing £12 would be adequate!
I'm confused!!!

Sponsored Links
Zyg, a quality dimmer switch will set you back at least £25. Any cheap old dimmer will work, but you might bet some serious noise from the circuit and the life of the transformers and the lamps could be significantly reduced.

I would suggest you buy a decent quality dimmer, (MK, Hamilton-Litestat etc) rated at no less that 400W, if you can get a 600W all the better. The nearer the load is to the maximum rating of the dimmer, the more likely it is you will get some "noise" generated by the dimmer..normally a slight buz.

great.thanks for the advice.will invest in a quality switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back