Low voltage outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hiya all,

Am wanting to install some low voltage deck lighting outside.

Have currently taken a spur off a mains socket (which is 30mA RCD protected) using 1.5mm T&E to a 3amp FCU and from that using 1mm T&E to a light switch. I currently have same 1mm T&E running through outside wall to nothing (no fuse in FCU at moment so no problem)! I was planning to run cable under deck through 20mm conduit to a transformer which is designed for outside use and house it in waterproof box or whatever making sure all joints are sealed. However, I'm not sure I should be using 1mm flat T&E outside (all waterproof cable connectors seemed to be designed for round cable).

Am open to suggestions for a better setup, but:

- want to use the inside light switch to switch low voltage lights on and off

- could replace the 1mm flat T&E running from outside to light switch with something different if necessary as it is running through conduit buried into plaster

- would prefer to keep transformer outside.

Help please! Ta

Sponsored Links
first thing change the 1.5mm T&E to a 3amp FCU to 2.5mm T & E

What gave you the idea you can use 1.5 T & E?

while you are at it change the fcu to a switched fcu, and use arctic blue flex to feed your external transformer

Yeah, apologies breezer.

Had just been reading a posting debating the pros and cons of 1.5mm against 1.0mm cable and put 1.5mm T&E by mistake. I have in fact used 2.5mm.

Does this artic blue flex still want to be run in plastic conduit?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Followed breezers advice and bought some arctic blue cable - could only get 1.5mm though.

Will it be a problem running 1.0mm T&E from the (switched!) FCU to the light switch and then 1.5mm arctic blue from the light switch to outside?

Also, will it be a problem running the cables to and from the light switch in the same conduit (assuming I can get the arctic blue fed through without knocking the wall about).

Once its outside, does the arctic blue cable need to be in conduit (its running underneath decking)?

Sponsored Links
so long as the fcu is FED by a 2.5mm cable you will be ok.

arctic blue is specially designed to go outside, but conduit is recomended only where it is liable to get hit (or bitten by vermin)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back