Low voltage spots in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of replacing the main light in our bathroom with a number of low voltage spot lights flush mounted in the ceiling. At the moment I have a single energy saving bulb (equal. to 40W) and was wondering how many low valtage spot lights I will need to install to give an equal amount of light?

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find a l/v 40w kicks out as much as a standard 40w bulb, it's the voltage thats changed not the wattage (think of your car headlights).
Fit several, have them on a dimmer (outside the bathroom, obviously), and then you can set them for the right mood on one of those LUUUUURVE days (God rest Barry !!).

Thanks Scoby - a dimmer sounds cool. Save me putting too many lights in and getting a solarium instead of a bathroom ;)

I did wonder if there was someplace on the net that gave the equiv. Candela value for various bulb types so I could make an assesment on the number of spots required. But if one 40W low voltage spot gives the same light output as a standard 40W bulb then a dimmer would be the best idea to get the right light levels.

It's quite likely, depending on where you put them, that the downlighters will need to meet the IPX4 rating for use in bathrooms. I have seen downlighters in DIY stores which say 'suitable for use in bathrooms', but this doesn't mean they are :!: . It's not so much the power rating you need to look at (you're right Scoby, 40W is 40W), but the lumens per watt. A standard tungsten filament light bulb may be 40W but the lumens/watt may be less than or greater than a 40W low-energy lamp. From the sound of it though, you don't have a 40W energy saving lamp, but an energy saving lamp equivilant in brightness to a 40W tungsten filament lamp. Candela measures the brightness of the light itself, rather than the given light output per input unit of power (watts). A search on lumens and watts on a search engine should return some results. A dimmer is a good idea, just remember to get a dimmer rated correctly for the number of lights you are installing.

Sponsored Links
one other thing make sure that the transformer is able to be dimmed (it will say if it can on the box)

Another quick question - do you put the dimmer on the 12V side or the incoming 230V side of the transformer?

incoming mains, but don't forget what i said on the post previous to yours

Thanks Breezer - I have my eye on the transformers from Screwfix. They say they are dimmer compatible.
Screwfix also do IP44 rated downlights :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back