Lumens/watt (or how much lighting does a room need)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a resource anywhere that will tell me the amount of light I get out of any type of bulb.

I'm told LED lights generate about 20 lumens/watt, and incandescent about 12 L/W, but not sure if that applies to all bulb types. Halogens in particular convert a lot of the input power to heat, and fluorescents very little.

Or, to ask the question the other way .... In assessing how much lighting you need in a room, how do you do it, since apparently the total wattage is a pretty useless indication.

TIA
Billy

Sponsored Links
BillyMac said:
Is there a resource anywhere that will tell me the amount of light I get out of any type of bulb.

I'm told LED lights generate about 20 lumens/watt, and incandescent about 12 L/W, but not sure if that applies to all bulb types. Halogens in particular convert a lot of the input power to heat, and fluorescents very little.

Or, to ask the question the other way .... In assessing how much lighting you need in a room, how do you do it, since apparently the total wattage is a pretty useless indication.
TIA
Billy
Many more factors like distance (inverse square law) come into play, if you are using the light for photography video, then a program called LD Calculator (freebie) may be useful, for general household lighting look on manufacturers websites for Application Data

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back