Magnaclean fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to Paul Barker's constant recommendations, I've now bought and fitted a Magnaclean to my Combi system.

I found the instructions very clear and well thought out, but could not achieve a leak free installation. The water oozed out from the olive retaining nut. It seemed to me that there was far less 'take up' on the compression fittings than was my previous experience. Also, Magnaclean recommend not over tightening anything. Eventually, I had to add extra tightness, but to no avail.

My conclusion was that the tightening method suggested by Magnaclean ie to tighten everything up when all connections are made, was in fact causing the problem. When I tightened the two compression valves separately, thus ensuring a straight and accurate seating of the pipe, then added the Magnaclean body, everything was fine.

Now I know a lot of you lads fit these, and wondered if you found any problems? Or am I simply the all thumbs bozo of the week!

All thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
My main criticism of the Magnaclean fittings (and it's only a minor gripe) is that the plastic threads on the filter body are a bit too fine, making it rather easy to cross-thread the metal nuts when you screw them onto the plastic spigots.

I've never had any problem with the compression joints onto the copper pipes. Can't think of any particular reason why you had leaks.....

The main thing to avoid (obviously) is straining the plastic parts when tightening the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back